A sociologist, Richard Dugdale in 1874 did a study of two men…one a man of God and one a career criminal and atheist. Since than many have tried to rewrite the book or find flaws in the study and they have only been able to find errors at the margin, but none have been able to refute the fundamental issues of the study. The man of God saw his children prosper and the atheist saw his children live in great failure. Here is an outline of each family’s life.
Jonathan Edwards vs. Max Jukes: (study of the legacies of two men)
A Brief Family History of Max Jukes
Max Jukes was an atheist who lived in New York; of Jukes’ 560 known descendants:
- 7 were murderers
- 60 became thieves
- 67 reported having syphilis
- 100 were alcoholics
- 50% of the women in his family line became prostitutes
- 300 died prematurely
- Over 200 lived on relief
The Family History of Jonathan Edwards
- 300 were preachers
- 295 were college graduates
- 100 were missionaries
- 100 were lawyers
- 80 held public office including 1 Vice President of the United States (Aaron Burr), 13 U.S. senators, 1 state governor, 3 big city mayors and 1 U.S. comptroller
- 75 military officers
- 65 college professors including 13 college presidents
- 56 physicians including 1 Dean of Medical School
Of the two legacies presented above which would you rather leave? Why was Jonathan Edwards able to pass on such an incredible legacy? He was a man of prayer!
Few know that although Jonathan Edwards, a pastor, was an incredibly busy man, he was also a very devoted husband and father. Edwards spent at least one hour per day praying for and speaking blessing over each of his eleven children. Because of his commitment to pray for his children on a daily basis God blessed not only them but his entire generational line!
There is a Heavenly connection between peace and prayer.
Published on Tuesday, February 10, 2015 @ 4:08 AM CDT