Morality apart from God is only good advice. Good advice never quite finds its mark among bad men. It may have some effect among good men, but good advice still lacks the holiness of God. Among good honest men reason carries the day and falls short without the holiness that the God of the Bible teaches.
- There is not much that is helpful in morality which simply results from it being the best policy.
- There is not much that is gained when morality is maintained solely by the fear of punishment.
- There is not much accomplished when morality is pursued because it tends to the greatest happiness of the greatest number of people.
- There is not much self-satisfaction when morality is a personal principal for life.
- There is no redemption in the morality of the “Golden Rule” (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you).
The world speaks of morality as if it is a principal within itself, or a principal to be decided by societal norms. Morality is a result, the result that flows from the truth, and truth is not something to be decided by man. Even the truth that is found embedded in math, and science is also truth that was established by God…it was only discovered by man, not established by man. Two and two equals four, and like every other mathematical formula it derives a mathematical truth by God’s command, not by what man came to understand. These truths were established in order that the universe could be established; it was not established by man after the universe was formed.
There is only the truth of the God of the Bible. The Bible does not teach morality as an ethic for life; it teaches that the moral truths of God are a part of the very fiber of the universe which is upheld by the holiness of God…unchanging and not negotiable. A moral morality does not exist; the truth that is of God and found in the Bible is a reflection of God’s holiness, and God’s holiness establishes the moral values of life, not man’s goodness. Thinking otherwise has caused man to think that he can be both a judge of what is good and define what is good. Good is not good enough. Only God’s holiness is Holy enough.
Published on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 @ 4:59 AM CDT